Woodland Creation in Wales
The latest GWC rules can be found on the Welsh Government Glastir webpage.
An Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted by a Registered Glastir Woodland Creation Planner, EOIs not submitted by a registered planner will be rejected.
Bronwin & Abbey are registered planners with over 25-years experience in forest management across Wales.
To be eligible for GWC (based upon round 10 rules):
- The land to be planted must be in Wales.
- The land must be under management control of the individual submitting the Expression of Interest (EOI).
- The land must not already be designated as woodland.
- The area of eligible land must be a minimum of 0.25 hectares consisting of field parcels with a minimum area of 0.1 hectares.
- If the land is common land then consent under Section 38 of the Commons Act 2006, or written confirmation that consent is not required by Welsh Ministers, must be granted before an EOI is submitted.
- A Rural Payments Wales (RPW) Customer Reference Number is needed to submit an EOI; this can be arranged if the land is not already registered with RPW.
- Applications are scored by Welsh Government and only those schemes that exceed the threshold score will proceed beyond EOI.
Funding available (based upon round 10 rules):
- £800 to pay for the woodland creation management plan to be written; only paid if the plan is approved and the land planted.
- Grant rates to support the cost of planting:
- Option 1: Enhanced mixed woodland
- A minimum of 5 tree species, at least 25% broadleaves
- Grant: £3600 per hectare
- Option 2: Native woodland – carbon
- Option 3: Native woodland – biodiversity
- Site native species mix only
- Grant: £3000 per hectare
- Additional grant income available:
- Annual maintenance payment
- For 12 years: £60 per hectare per year
- Annual premium payment
- For 12 years: £350 per hectare per year
- Grant rate for fencing (livestock must be excluded from all GWC planting):
Bronwin & Abbey offers:
- Registered Glastir Woodland Creation Planners.
- Site surveying and GIS mapping.
- Bespoke plan to ensure successful tree establishment and future revenue streams.
- Comprehensive service using experienced labour and high-quality UK grown planting stock.